Thursday, December 4, 2008

The First Photograph


During one period in my photography career, I actively cataloged rules of photography. I found 97 of them to be silly. For my first photograph in this blog, I've chosen
one that mocks two of those silly rules:

1. There must be detail in the highlights.
2. There must be detail in the shad
ows.

This photo is about catching nights.

Catching Nights

Why must there be catchlights in my eyes? Why must there be detail in my favorite green shirt? Why must there be an agreeable lighting ratio on my face? Why must there be detail in the shadow between my legs? Or under my arms? Why must there be ANY light source when that would defeat the intent of the photograph?

Granted, this is an extreme example, but I needed something to prove my point. ANY light would weaken this particular picture. Bringing the aggregate density of the picture to an average 18% gray would bring it straight into the center of mediocrity.

No.

No comments: