Saturday, November 22, 2008

Choosing the Right Path


All paths lead nowhere.
I chose photography because,
for me, it was a path with heart.
I could sing on the way home every night.


When I was young, we had a neighbor who worked at a job he hated. Worked there for forty years. Couldn't wait to retire. Three months after he retired, he died.
That stayed with me. An entire career of misery - for what? Let's see... 40 hours a week, times 50 weeks, times 40 years, equals 80,000 hours. That's torture.
I decided to pick something I could enjoy. Just in case.

I had a boss in the newspaper business. Got up every morning at four a.m. Couldn't wait to get to work. Loved it. Did it for forty-five years. Forced to retire at 65. Died three days later. That stayed with me, too. He WAS his work, which for him, was play. Not being allowed to play, I think, is what killed him.

You choose your life, or life will choose for you.

You can make yourself happy or you can make yourself miserable. The amount of work is the same.
(Carlos Castaneda, quoting don Juan Matus, Yaqui shaman)

Do what you love, or love what you do - the result will be the same.

No comments: