Friday, November 21, 2008

The Why of the Blog


I'm saying photography has no hips to make my first point about photography - people try to make it into something it is not. Not such a bad error, except that it leads people away from photography's vast and virtually untapped potential.

Photography has no hips, but it does have something that lies outside of normal human awareness. It people
were aware, it would dominate the conversations among photographers. It would be the focus of photography books, classes, seminars, workshops, and conventions. It would rise in front of every aspiring photographer as a beacon, a guiding light, a goal.

For some - those of you who've achieved all the normal goals and now wonder, as Peggy Lee used to wonder, "Is that all there is?" - let me warn you (yes, warn you) that there is indeed more. And you may be sorry you asked.

If this interests you, follow my blog. Call your friends. They may remember me. I am about to start revealing some of the secrets that I took with me to the wilderness. I will also start sharing some of the lessons I learned during my year of solitude.

Hello, I'm ba-aaaack. Bwuuuh-huh-huh-huh.


Question:
Will there be photographs in this blog, or just a bunch of words?

Answer: Yes, there will be photographs. I will tell you now that this blog will be more about the photographer than the photograph. I have always placed the photographer above the photograph. Whenever photographers are told how to take better pictures (which is all the time) they invariably become, to some degree, derivative. When my priority is on the photographer instead of the photograph, the work become more original. Original always trumps derivative. Thinking of Elvis impersonators should drive this point home.
Also, there's the not-so-little matter of blindfolds. I think it would be a good idea to remove them before pictures can be seen. By that, I mean comprehended. There's a huge difference between looking and understanding. So, first things first. I think the sequence I have lined out will be the best order of business.


Question: Will you be any nicer than you used to be? Just a little? Please?

Answer: Hey, I'm already as sweet as a speckled pup.



No comments: